Not Again: Island Bracing For Another Winter Storm Beginning Sunday Night
David Creed •
Just as nearly all of the snow had melted from last month's snowstorm, the island is once again under a winter storm watch with blizzard conditions expected with gusts up to 70 miles per hour forecasted. The winter storm advisory is currently from 10 p.m. on Sunday, February 22 to 1 a.m. on Tuesday, February 24.
According to the National Weather Service, total snow accumulation will be between eight and 11 inches with winds gusting as high as 75 miles per hour.
The difference between last month's storm and this upcoming storm is the strong winds mixed with heavy, wet snow that could cause more power outages, bigger waves, and tree damage. Current forecasts are predicting strong, sustained north winds from 46 to 58 miles per hour with gusts up to 75 miles per hour. Seven to 10 foot seas are expected.
The heaviest snow is expected beginning Sunday at 2 a.m. through Monday afternoon at one to two inches per hour. The heavy, wet snow could make travel "very difficult to impossible." Areas of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility and the hazardous conditions could impact the Monday morning and evening commutes. Very strong winds could cause extensive tree damage.
"Travel should be restricted to emergencies only," the National Weather Service stated in their alert. "If you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle."
A coastal flood warning was also issued and will be in effect from 1-7 a.m. on Monday, February 23. Harbormaster Sheila Lucey announced that the storm gate at Children's Beach will be closed at 2 p.m. on Sunday and reopen when weather permits.
National Grid told the Current they are prepared and have resources on the island.
"The company has crews and personnel ready to respond to resulting power outages, including overhead and forestry crews that will be in position (Sunday) on Nantucket, ahead of the storm," Christine Milligan, National Grid's principal program manager, said Saturday afternoon.
The Nantucket Cottage Hospital said Urgent Access and clinics will be closed on Monday, however Virtual Urgent Care is available 24/7 through the patient gateway. Clinic appointments are being rescheduled while all other hospital operations are expected to function as normal.
The Nantucket Police Department posted on their social media pages urging island residents to prepare accordingly.
This story will be updated.