Driver In Fourth Of July Crash Allegedly Attacked First Responders And Used Racial Slur

David Creed •

IMG 8040

The driver of the Nissan Murano that crashed at the intersection of Old South Road and Fairgrounds Road on the Fourth of July is facing numerous charges, including allegations she was under the influence of alcohol, punched a Massachusetts State Police Trooper in the face with a clenched fist, and called a Nantucket firefighter the n-word while he was placing her in the ambulance and attempting to provide medical care.

Savannah Twomey, 27, of Nantucket, was arraigned Monday charges of operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, assault on ambulance personnel, assault and battery on ambulance personnel, three charges of assault and battery on a police officer, threatening to commit a crime, a civil rights violation, resisting arrest, speeding, disorderly conduct, and a marked lanes violation. She had not-guilty pleas entered on her behalf.

According to the police report, members of the Nantucket Police and Fire Departments, as well as heavy rescue responded to a single-vehicle car accident at 6:46 p.m. in the area of Old South Road and Fairgrounds Road.

Officer Joseph Tirone stated in the report that upon arrival he observed the vehicle had crashed through a wooden split rail fence and was resting on top of a group of barrier rocks at the property at 1 Fairgrounds Road.

Airbags were deployed, there was significant front-end damage to the vehicle, and there were deep tire marks in the grass coming from Old South Road. Tirone said he estimated the vehicle was traveling at 45 miles per hour “at a minimum” in a 25 mph speed zone.

The operator was eventually identified as Twomey, and Tirone stated that as he conversed with her he could smell an odor of alcohol emitting from her facial area, her speech was thick and slurred, and her movements were slow and lethargic. Her eyes were also glossy and bloodshot and Twomey had difficulty making statements explaining how the accident happened – giving three different variations.

Tirone said Twomey became irate and began to argue with police and firefighters in the initial interview as they spoke with her regarding her medical care and details of the crash. Tirone said eventually Twomey became so upset that at one point she punched a Massachusetts State Trooper in the face with a closed fist. Charges were filed separately by this state trooper (assault and battery on a police officer and disorderly conduct) and both charges were included in the list of charges mentioned above.

Tirone said when he attempted to place Twomey in handcuffs she actively resisted by grabbing his left hand and raising it toward her open mouth with the intent to bite him. While grabbing Tirone’s hand, Twomey drew blood in two separate areas.

Tirone said that Twomey also attempted to kick a Nantucket Firefighter who was treating her during the interaction. As the firefighter was placing Twomey in the ambulance she yelled at him saying she would “f*** you (the firefighter) up” and referred to the firefighter, who is black, as a n-word while he was attempting to provide medical care to her.

Twomey then began to make threats to first responders and proceeded to intentionally spit on Tirone. She later spit on a different firefighter when she arrived at the hospital.

Twomey was released on her personal recognizance and was ordered to return to court July 17 for a pretrial hearing.

Loading Ad
Loading Ad
Loading Ad

Current Crime