Jhan Barbosa, the 20-year-old man reported missing by the Nantucket Police Department Tuesday morning, was found deceased inside of a vehicle Wednesday by police officers according to Lieutenant Angus MacVicar.
MacVicar said Barbosa was found by the patrol officers as they checked areas of the island where they have had encounters with Barbosa in the past. He said they are unsure how long Barbosa had been in the vehicle, but the case has been handed over to the state medical examiners to provide a forensic autopsy to make that determination.
“The case does not appear to be suspicious in any way,” MacVicar added. “It doesn’t appear anyone else was involved in his death.”
MacVicar said the case continues to be under investigation by the NPD detective unit and the chief medical examiner’s office. He was not able to provide any details on a possible cause of death.
Barbosa was first reported missing to the police on Oct. 11 by a family member, who said he had not been heard from since Oct. 5.
"The family member didn't report it (Barbosa being missing) as being suspicious," MacVicar said. "He's a transient worker and doesn't have a local address."
Following the initial report, MacVicar said island police searched for Barbosa on Nantucket over the ensuing six days before deciding to alert the public and ask for assistance on Tuesday morning.
Barbosa had been enrolled in Nantucket Public Schools as recently as 2019 as a member of the Class of 2021. It's unclear if he ever graduated from Nantucket High School.