Shangri-La Kitchen On Orange Street To Close In September

Jason Graziadei •

IMG 1650

Shangri-La Kitchen, the Asian fusion restaurant that has been serving up food on Orange Street since 2016, will close at the end of September, according to owner Bharat Banjara.

The restaurant, which took over the location previously occupied by Fooods For Here And There and has been in business for almost a decade, will be seeking a new space after Banjara said he was unable to work out a new lease agreement.

Bharat Banjara

Banjara is also the owner of Sophie T's, which he purchased from the Noll family in 2022.

"I had hoped to continue in the same location with a new lease agreement, but unfortunately, it did not work out," Banjara told the Current.

"Since opening in 2016, it has been an honor to serve you," Banjara stated in a note to customers. "Your support, love, and encouragement over the years have truly meant so much to me and my team. Although this location is closing, I remain committed to keeping the same food, flavors, and spirit alive. We are actively searching for a new space where we can welcome you again and continue the journey together. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being part of our story."

Banjara said he had attempted to buy the building at 149 Orange Street from Rick Ulmer, but that effort ultimately fell through as well. He added that the restaurant's cooler and frozen unit, as well as other restaurant equipment, are now available.

Ulmer told the Current late Wednesday that he has a new tenant lined up to take over the space, but did not reveal who that is.

"As far as Shangri La, he (Banjara) always wanted to buy the building, but as he shared with you, he wasn’t able to do it," Ulmer said. "The new tenant is a strong operator who is well known to islanders and visitors. They are excited to build a really great, year-round food experience. They are bringing a new concept and energy."

Current News