Suspect In Fatal Fentanyl Overdose Indicted By Nantucket Grand Jury

David Creed •

Two indictments were returned by a Nantucket grand jury just prior to 4 p.m. Monday afternoon relating to a 2021 fatal fentanyl overdose and a 2003 sexual assault case.

Timothy Tanana-Nye, 30, of Nantucket, had an indictment returned on charges of manslaughter and possession with the intent to distribute a Class A drug (fentanyl). The charges are related to a 2021 fatal fentanyl overdose of a 2019 graduate of Nantucket High School.

According to the police report, which was read by the island’s ADA at the time Max Mitrokostas during Tanana-Nye's arraignment, police and EMTs were called to an island residence for a drug overdose where they discovered Tanana-Nye performing CPR on the unresponsive woman. First responders administered Narcan to the victim at the scene – an apartment in the new Richmond Great Point development off Old South Road – but she was not breathing and had no pulse by the time they arrived. The woman was pronounced dead at Nantucket Cottage Hospital.

Police stated in their report that the responding officers observed a white powdery substance on a bureau in the bedroom of the apartment. A search warrant was obtained later that night, and officers discovered additional evidence, including a small baggie believed to be fentanyl hidden in bag of dog food.

Tanana-Nye’s attorney, Jenny Margeson, claimed he was in a relationship with the victim and said the distribution charge was not appropriate given the circumstances.

“This is a horrendous situation,” Margeson said. “My client is very clearly grieving the loss of his girlfriend.”

An indictment was also returned on Monday tied to an unnamed individual relating to a 2003 charge of rape. Cape & Islands Assistant District Attorney Russ Eonas told the Current the DA’s office is declining to name the individual at this time.

“We wouldn’t release any details on a potential sexual assault investigation, particularly because we obviously don’t want to reveal any of the parties involved,” Eonas said. “But it is from 2003."

The next step in the process relating to both individual's cases will be getting arraigned in Nantucket Superior Court, however Eonas told the Current no arraignment dates have been scheduled at this time.

This story will be updated.

Loading Ad
Loading Ad
Loading Ad

Current Crime