Town Pushes Back On Allegations Lodged By Dispatchers

JohnCarl McGrady •

IMG 0853
Former 911 dispatch assistant supervisor Pat Considine speaks out at the May 13, 2026 Select Board.

In a statement posted to its website, the Town of Nantucket has responded to allegations from current and former police dispatchers, denying that one dispatcher was evicted from town-owned housing and presenting a different narrative of how a second dispatcher received his termination papers.

The town’s statement comes amid an ongoing dispute between the island’s dispatchers, Police Chief Jody Kasper, and the town administration over whether the collective bargaining agreement signed by the dispatchers entitles them to work paid third-party details that have historically gone to police officers and seasonal community service officers.

Dispatcher Chris Tolman previously claimed during the public comment period of a recent Select Board meeting that he was evicted from town-owned housing. In its reply, the town denied his claims, saying he was presented with a number of housing opportunities - including town-owned units - and declined to pursue them.

Tolman previously lived in the LORAN barracks, but was moved to town employee housing on Waitt Drive when the town evacuated the barracks because of serious health concerns raised by a number of residents. Tolman was required to leave his housing on Waitt Drive at the start of May, and the town claims he did so voluntarily. The town also says that, in the meantime, he was “presented at least nine private or shared housing opportunities” and “either declined, did not pursue or missed deadlines for all of these opportunities.”

According to the town, those opportunities included “Town-managed units, private rentals, studio apartments, shared housing opportunities, and direct homeowner referrals.”

“From July 2025 through April 2026, the Town made substantial and consistent efforts to assist Mr. Tolman in securing housing. The Town’s Human Resources Director, Housing Director and Rental Property Manager collectively documented approximately 50 outreach efforts, including emails, meetings, follow-ups, housing referrals, unit showings, lottery opportunities, and direct coordination with homeowners,” the town wrote.

Tolman, however, said none of those options were viable. In a statement shared with the Current on Thursday in response to the town's comments at the Select Board meeting, Tolman continued to allege that the actions amounted to retaliation.

"First off, the reason I am in this housing crisis is because I was the resident assistant at the LORAN (barracks) when it was deemed unfit for human habitation by our very own Health Department, who also confessed that they do not test for mold," Tolman said. "So yes, we all wanted to be relocated. Every option offered to me by the Housing Department, either found on social media or part of a lottery, was not a guarantee. These options were far beyond my budget, especially considering the town is simultaneously blocking our contractual detail work and suspending others for seeking work outside of the department. I am an essential employee who was not offered an extension, and I highly doubt the Waitt Drive housing is currently at capacity. This is all retaliation."

The town also responded to former 911 dispatch assistant supervisor Pat Considine, who was fired one day after leveling a series of allegations against Kasper at a recent Select Board meeting. Considine claimed that he was served his termination papers in the public first-floor lobby of the police department “in front of coworkers and community members,” rather than in private.

“All Town buildings are public facilities, and matters of this nature require consideration for safety and security. These arrangements were worked out in advance, and no objection was made by either the Union or Mr. Considine,” the town wrote in its reply. “The Human Resources Director asked Mr. Considine if he would like to step away from the conversation he was engaged in with another dispatcher in the Lobby of the Public Safety Facility, which Mr. Considine declined. The Police Department was the appropriate location to ensure a professional exchange of the documents.”

Considine has previously claimed he and other town of Nantucket dispatchers were wrongfully suspended and faced retaliation, discrimination, and unlawful surveillance as the dispute over their contract continues.

A clause in the dispatchers’ contract reads: “Employees of the Police Department are eligible to enroll in third-party detail training and sign up for third-party detail assignments. Employees will be limited to third-party detail work that is not conducted by the Town of Nantucket and will be compensated pursuant to the fee structure paid by the third-party to the Town of Nantucket. Third-party detail work may not be performed during regularly scheduled hours of work and accrued leave may not be utilized to perform such detail work.”

Considine stated that following the filing of the grievance over the third-party detail work, he faced an illegal suspension, threats, verbal assaults, and public humiliation. The allegations include the claim that the police department installed a new surveillance camera to monitor the dispatch area and its staff.

The dispute has drawn considerable community attention. During Town Meeting, Considine and Kasper clashed again, with Considine advocating against an article seeking $5.4 million for additional repairs at the LORAN barracks. The article was defeated. It was the only funding article that voters did not support at Town Meeting. It did, however, pass at the ballot box during the subsequent local elections, though this is not enough to authorize the town to go forward with the project.

Current News